American Weapons, Israeli Slaughter

The US continues to provide military aid to Israel for its operations in the Gaza Strip, despite mounting civilian casualties and violations of international law Anadolu news reports.

Besides being Tel Aviv’s most important political ally, Washington remains the largest supplier of weapons to the Israeli military.

The Congress approved $17 billion in military aid to Israel under a $95 billion foreign military assistance package in April.

Israel has killed more than 38,000 Palestinians since a cross-border attack that claimed 1,200 lives. The actions have triggered a humanitarian disaster.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s handling of the Gaza assault has unsettled US President Joe Biden. Still, there has not been a serious restriction on arms supply.

Netanyahu even accused the Biden administration of restricting military aid, with US officials confirming a pause in shipment that included 2,000-pound bombs, citing concerns over civilian casualties in the besieged enclave according to the Turkish news agency.

Leaked figures to the media, however, suggest that Washington’s action came too late and may not be effective in practice.

Official sources, who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity, revealed that from Oct. 7-June 28, the US shipped at least 14,000 MK-84 bombs used in bomber aircraft to Israel, along with 6,500 227 kg bombs, 3,000 precision-guided Hellfire missiles, 1,000 bunker-buster bombs, 2,600 small-caliber bombs dropped from aircraft and other munitions.

The Biden administration also allowed a symbolic one-time shipment of one-ton aircraft munitions in May.

An internal memo shared among Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives and other members of Congress said the halted shipment of one-ton bombs accounted for less than 1% of military support provided by the US to Israel since Oct. 7.

US has sent weapons to Israel by air

An official speaking to CNN did not deny shipment flights were detected between US Air Force bases and Israel, and said the flights represent a steady flow of Pentagon aid to Israel.

The CNN said from October to January 2024, an average of 15 cargo flights occurred daily, later decreasing to about five.

Records indicated that tracking some military flights was difficult due to frequent transponder shutdowns.

Research by the Haaretz newspaper in Israel revealed that 173 military and civilian cargo flights originating from US military bases worldwide transported weapons and ammunition to Israel.

Most of the flights landed at the Nevatim Airbase near the southern Israeli city of Be’er Sheva.

There were 22 flights in October, 47 in November, 32 in December, 20 in January, eight in February, 11 in March, 17 in April, seven in May and nine in June.

The shipments are said to have included 155mm artillery shells, Joint Direct Attack Munition guidance kits, bombs, missiles for Israel’s air defense system, and drones and ammunition for the Iron Dome defense system.


Israel receiving $310 billion in aid from US

The US provides Israel with $3.8 billion in military aid annually, regardless of whether it is involved in a conflict.

According to the most recent records compiled by the Council on Foreign Relations, Israel appears to have received the largest share of US foreign aid since its establishment in 1948, totaling $310 billion.


US legally ensures Israel’s ‘qualitative military edge’ in region

In 2008, another law passed in the US introduced the concept of “Qualitative Military Edge,” a multi-faceted endeavor to ensure Israel has access to technologically advanced defense systems. It is also said to involve building operational capability through exercises, training, and personnel exchanges.

Hence, Israel is expected to be the first country to access the most advanced US military weapons and platforms.

Israel has so far received 39 out of the 50 advanced F-35 fighter jets it purchased from the US. But a $3 billion agreement was signed last month for an additional 25 of the fighter jets, world’s most advanced, which would bring the Israeli Air Force’s F-35 fleet to 75 in the coming years.

Israel’s use of US weapons violated international law

A State Department report in May said Israel’s use of US-provided weapons in Gaza likely violated international humanitarian law.

The report, after a presidential review following pressure from lawmakers and others, however, stopped short of making any final conclusions, and did not link specific US weapons to individual attacks by Israeli forces in Gaza, Anadolu ends its feature.

Continue reading
More Bad News For US-Israel Ties as Top Diplomat Quits Job

Israel Should be More Worried About Miller’s Resignation Than Washington – US Official

By Dr Marwan Asmar

The resignation of Andrew Miller from his job as US Deputy Assistant Secretary for Israeli-Palestinian Affairs comes as a blow for the Joe Biden administration because it narrows the debate further to one side.  

While he cites family reasons for quitting his post, many say his resignation is a protest of the White House support for Israel in its war on Gaza.

His resignation has been making headways on social media with the first to break the story, the Washington Post, Friday.

One on X writes “his departure underscores internal discontent over US support for Israel” in its war on Gaza.

Another writes his resignation “comes amid growing frustration  over the war’s deep civilian death toll and concerns among some in the administration that influence over policy matters…“dominated by a narrow clique of Biden’s closest advisors.”

He was seen as a critic of the policies of the Biden administration in its “bear hug” approach towards Israel and its way of conducting the war on Gaza.

The Palestine Chronicle writes his resignation “follows the departures of at least eight other Biden administration officials who left in protest of the war in Gaza and the president’s steadfast alignment with the Israeli government.”

Jerry Goode on X says the “US government is falling apart because of the division in the Gaza war/(genocide),” adding officials are resigning left, wright and center” with Miller being the latest top official and senior diplomat “to run away from this mess.”

His name is trending under different tags: #USA #Andrewmiller #Thewashingtonpost #IsraelGazaconflict

Miller was seen on the progressive side of the administration. One US official said Miller pushed for the US to use its leverage over the Israeli government, including the substantial military, economic, political and diplomatic support it provides to Tel Aviv, more effectively, reported Anadolu.

Miller is certainly on the more progressive side of administration officials when it comes to the region, including on Israel-Palestine, but he has also never been a ‘burn it all down and forgo pragmatism’ type,” the official said. “He has always advocated that the United States should support Palestinian rights and statehood, but his advocacy while in government has generally been quiet and measured.”

However, another US official quoted by the Times of Israel the resignation of Miller “should be a wake up call for” Israel. Talking on condition of anonymity, he said if the Netanyahu government is “creating an environment where people like him are resigning, they are clearly doing something very wrong.”  

Miller worked on both Israeli and Palestine sides. He firmly supported a strong US-Israeli relationship but he also believed a two-state solution to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

However, his resignation comes days after a video was made of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu berating the White House for apparently withholding weapons and ammunition from Israel to continue the war on Gaza.

Later on the week and in response to the video, US National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby  said the allegations that Netanyahu made “were deeply disappointing and certainly vexing to us, given the amount of support that we have and will continue to provide Prime Minister Netanyahu.”

He was backed by the US State Department spokesman, Matt Miller, who said he was not sure what Netanyahu was “talking about or what he was trying to accomplish.”

He pointed out: “…I don’t think it’s productive to engage in an intense public back and forth about this. So we will just let our actions continue to speak for themselves, as they have since Oct. 7.”

He added as stated by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, “our commitment to Israel’s security is sacrosanct. We have proved that, not just with words, but with deeds.”

The supply of US weapons has not stopped. It is continuing. However it is the withholding of the shipment of the 2000-pound dumb bombs Netanyahu is upset about. The US has become deeply concerned about their use in densely-populated areas in Rafah and in camps in central Gaza because of their strong kill factor which is deeply devastating.

All these issues have forced Andrew Miller to resign, disillusioned by US President Joe Biden’s refusal to take a harder line on Israel stopping the war in Gaza.

Continue reading