Report: Strike on US Embassy Causes More Damage Than Previously Thought

An Iranian drone attack on the US Embassy in Saudi Arabia last month caused more damage than previously disclosed, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday, citing US officials.

The attack occurred on March 3, when a drone bypassed air defenses at Riyadh’s Diplomatic Quarter and struck the American compound. A second drone followed, hitting the same spot and causing another explosion.

The strikes, which took place at night, breached a secure part of the embassy where hundreds of employees would typically work, severely damaging three floors. The CIA station was among the affected areas.

According to the report, Saudi officials initially downplayed the attack, calling it a minor fire with limited damage, but the US officials said the fire lasted for hours and caused significant, irreparable damage to parts of the embassy.

Later that night, more drones were intercepted, with debris landing near a preschool. One drone appeared to target the residence of the top US diplomat in Saudi Arabia, only a few hundred feet from the embassy.

Had the attack occurred during working hours, it could have resulted in mass casualties, officials noted, underscoring the message that Iran can strike at US assets once thought to be secure.

“It was able to produce an indigenously made weapon, fire it across hundreds of miles and put it into the embassy of their top opponent, which means they could have hit anything they wanted in the city,” said Bernard Hudson, a former CIA counterterrorism chief with extensive experience in Persian Gulf states, including Saudi Arabia.

“There’s been a complete blackout on the actual amount of damage done to these places,” he said about US embassies and bases. “That feeds suspicions that a lot more damage may have actually happened.”

Regional tensions have escalated since the US and Israel launched a joint offensive on Iran on Feb. 28, killing more than 1,340 people to date, including then-Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.​​​​​​​

Tehran has retaliated with drone and missile strikes targeting Israel, as well as Jordan, Iraq, and Gulf countries hosting US military assets. Anadolu

  • CrossFireArabia

    CrossFireArabia

    Dr. Marwan Asmar holds a PhD from Leeds University and is a freelance writer specializing on the Middle East. He has worked as a journalist since the early 1990s in Jordan and the Gulf countries, and been widely published, including at Albawaba, Gulf News, Al Ghad, World Press Review and others.

    Related Posts

    Israel Kills 200 Lebanese Children – UNICEF

    More than four children have been killed or injured every day on average in Lebanon in the first 25 days of a temporary ceasefire with families still unable to return to their homes, said Save the Children.

    New data from Lebanon’s Ministry of Health on Tuesday showed that 22 children have been killed and 89 injured since the temporary ceasefire started on 17 April. This brings the number of children killed in Israeli strikes since renewed escalation in hostilities in Lebanon on 2 March to almost 200 with about 2,900 people killed.

    The violence and renewed displacement orders have forced more than one million people – or one in six of the population – from their homes with many now living with relatives, in host communities or in collective shelters.

    The number of families living in collective shelters has increased 5% since the conditional ceasefire due to renewed displacement orders by Israeli forces and as families return home to find destroyed houses and damaged farmland so move back the collective shelters. There are now 44,800 children among about 125,000 people in collective shelters.

    Thousands of children have been living in collective shelters for over two months in overcrowded conditions with inadequate water, sanitation and hygiene facilities leading to reports of scabies and growing health concerns.

    Parents are reporting widespread behavioural changes among children living in collective shelters due to a lack of routine and reduced school engagement including loss of appetite and trouble sleeping. Many children are struggling to continue learning with some schools used as collective shelters and also difficulties accessing online learning due to limited electricity, and poor connectivity.

    Tala*, 10, has been living in a collective shelter after being displaced from southern Lebanon, said:

    “I just want the war to end so I can go home to my village and sleep in my own bed. I really miss school, I want to see my teachers and be with my friends, and study and play again.”

    Nora Ingdal, Save the Children’s Lebanon Country Director, said:

    “This ‘so called’ ceasefire that still sees more than four children killed or injured every day is not a ceasefire for children. Attacks on civilians have not stopped – it has simply continued under another name. Colleagues have told me that the airstrikes feel more intense in some areas than they ever did before. Children are not safe until there is a permanent and definitive ceasefire with no violations.”

    With further peace talks set to take place on Thursday to determine next steps between Lebanon and Israel, Save the Children is calling on the international community to urgently work toward a permanent and definitive ceasefire and ensure flexible and sustained funding to protect children and allow families to return home to resume their lives.

    Save the Children has worked in Lebanon since 1953. In collaboration with partners and local authorities, we are distributing essential items in hard-to-reach areas in the south, provide psychosocial support for children, educate families and children about the risks of unexploded ordnance, ensure access to safe water and sanitation facilities, and distribute essential items for those displaced.

    ENDS:

    Sources:

    Lebanon Ministry of Health

    Israeli strikes have killed 380 in Lebanon since truce: Health ministry

    Lebanon Ministry of Health

    Lebanon-Emergency-Sitrep-23-2026.pdf

    Continue reading

    You Missed

    Giant Phillippines Volcano Shows no Rest!

    Giant Phillippines Volcano Shows no Rest!

    The Chinese Fortune Cookie and The “Thucydides Trap”! A  View From Amman

    The Chinese Fortune Cookie and The “Thucydides Trap”! A  View From Amman

    Israel Kills 200 Lebanese Children – UNICEF

    Israel Kills 200 Lebanese Children – UNICEF

    Nakba – 78 Years of Occupation Misery

    Nakba – 78 Years of Occupation Misery

    Palestinians Remember The Eveil Nakba

    Palestinians Remember The Eveil Nakba

    Nakba – 78 Years On

    Nakba – 78 Years On