‘…We Are Waiting For Them,’ Araghchi Says in Reference to a Ground Invasion

Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Iran is prepared to confront a potential ground invasion by the US, NBC News reported Thursday.

“No, we are waiting for them,” Araghchi said in a video interview when asked if he was afraid of a possible US ground invasion.

“Because we are confident that we can confront them, and that would be a big disaster for them,” he said, according to Anadolu.

His remarks came after US-Israel strikes against Iran began Feb. 28, killing Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and top security officials.

Despite US and Israeli strikes across the country, Araghchi said Iran has not asked for a ceasefire.

“We didn’t ask for a ceasefire even last time. In previous time, it was Israel who asked for a ceasefire. They asked for an unconditional ceasefire after 12 days that we resisted against their aggression,” he said, referring to the 12-day war last June when the Israeli and US militaries targeted Iranian nuclear facilities.

When asked about an attack on an elementary school in the city of Minab, Araghchi said 171 school girls were killed, and he put the responsibility on the American and Israeli militaries.

“This is what our military said. So, it is either the US or Israel. What is the difference?”

On Wednesday, US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the US is “investigating” the attack, while Israel denied involvement.

“We, of course, never target civilian targets, but we’re taking a look and investigating that,” Hegseth told reporters.

White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt on Wednesday dismissed the idea that the US was responsible for the strike.

“Not that we know of,” Leavitt told reporters when asked whether the US carried out the strike.

“The United States of America does not target civilians, unlike the rogue Iranian regime that targets civilians, that kills children … and uses propaganda quite effectively,” she added.

Araghci said he had no communication with President Donald Trump’s envoy Steve Witkoff and son-in-law Jared Kushner since last week.

“The fact is that we don’t have any positive experience of negotiating with the United States. You know, especially with this administration. We negotiated twice last year and this year, and then in the middle of negotiations, they attacked us,” Araghchi told NBC News.

“So, we see no reason why we should engage once again with those who have, who are not honest in negotiation, and they don’t and do not enter into negotiation in good faith.”

Despite his defiant tone about Iran’s military readiness, Araghchi said the broader conflict is unlikely to produce a clear victor.

“There is no winner in this war,” he said. “Our win is to be able to resist against, you know, the illegal, you know, goals, and this is what we have done so far.”

  • CrossFireArabia

    CrossFireArabia

    Dr. Marwan Asmar holds a PhD from Leeds University and is a freelance writer specializing on the Middle East. He has worked as a journalist since the early 1990s in Jordan and the Gulf countries, and been widely published, including at Albawaba, Gulf News, Al Ghad, World Press Review and others.

    Related Posts

    Israel Kills 200 Lebanese Children – UNICEF

    More than four children have been killed or injured every day on average in Lebanon in the first 25 days of a temporary ceasefire with families still unable to return to their homes, said Save the Children.

    New data from Lebanon’s Ministry of Health on Tuesday showed that 22 children have been killed and 89 injured since the temporary ceasefire started on 17 April. This brings the number of children killed in Israeli strikes since renewed escalation in hostilities in Lebanon on 2 March to almost 200 with about 2,900 people killed.

    The violence and renewed displacement orders have forced more than one million people – or one in six of the population – from their homes with many now living with relatives, in host communities or in collective shelters.

    The number of families living in collective shelters has increased 5% since the conditional ceasefire due to renewed displacement orders by Israeli forces and as families return home to find destroyed houses and damaged farmland so move back the collective shelters. There are now 44,800 children among about 125,000 people in collective shelters.

    Thousands of children have been living in collective shelters for over two months in overcrowded conditions with inadequate water, sanitation and hygiene facilities leading to reports of scabies and growing health concerns.

    Parents are reporting widespread behavioural changes among children living in collective shelters due to a lack of routine and reduced school engagement including loss of appetite and trouble sleeping. Many children are struggling to continue learning with some schools used as collective shelters and also difficulties accessing online learning due to limited electricity, and poor connectivity.

    Tala*, 10, has been living in a collective shelter after being displaced from southern Lebanon, said:

    “I just want the war to end so I can go home to my village and sleep in my own bed. I really miss school, I want to see my teachers and be with my friends, and study and play again.”

    Nora Ingdal, Save the Children’s Lebanon Country Director, said:

    “This ‘so called’ ceasefire that still sees more than four children killed or injured every day is not a ceasefire for children. Attacks on civilians have not stopped – it has simply continued under another name. Colleagues have told me that the airstrikes feel more intense in some areas than they ever did before. Children are not safe until there is a permanent and definitive ceasefire with no violations.”

    With further peace talks set to take place on Thursday to determine next steps between Lebanon and Israel, Save the Children is calling on the international community to urgently work toward a permanent and definitive ceasefire and ensure flexible and sustained funding to protect children and allow families to return home to resume their lives.

    Save the Children has worked in Lebanon since 1953. In collaboration with partners and local authorities, we are distributing essential items in hard-to-reach areas in the south, provide psychosocial support for children, educate families and children about the risks of unexploded ordnance, ensure access to safe water and sanitation facilities, and distribute essential items for those displaced.

    ENDS:

    Sources:

    Lebanon Ministry of Health

    Israeli strikes have killed 380 in Lebanon since truce: Health ministry

    Lebanon Ministry of Health

    Lebanon-Emergency-Sitrep-23-2026.pdf

    Continue reading

    You Missed

    Jordan 2007! Elections and Hiccups: Looking Backwards

    Jordan 2007! Elections and Hiccups: Looking Backwards

    Iran is Writing The Final Chapter!

    Iran is Writing The Final Chapter!

    Gaza Fishermen Dream of Life Prior to 7 Oct

    Gaza Fishermen Dream of Life Prior to 7 Oct

    Giant Phillippines Volcano Shows no Rest!

    Giant Phillippines Volcano Shows no Rest!

    The Chinese Fortune Cookie and The “Thucydides Trap”! A  View From Amman

    The Chinese Fortune Cookie and The “Thucydides Trap”! A  View From Amman

    Israel Kills 200 Lebanese Children – UNICEF

    Israel Kills 200 Lebanese Children – UNICEF