‘Tent Massacre’ is Israel’s Latest Crime of Crimes

The new massacre in Rafah shows the length of depravity of the Israeli army when 45 people were killed when they were asleep and 249 burned alive.

   

The tent massacre that occurred in Rafah, Sunday, is being called as the “crime of crimes” by ex-UNRWA spokesperson Chris Gunness.

This is yet another horrifying massacre which Israeli warplanes carried out on displaced civilians mostly women, children and the old who were fast sleep. Eight American-made 2000-pound bombs reigned down on them jolting into shock while sending many to their graves.

The result was massive explosions in the tent camp that led to extensive fires, the burning of tents and the churred bodies that ensured.  The sum total of deaths where 45 and 249 injured with extensive burns.

The massive attack on a makeshift displacement center run by UNRWA was in Tal Al Sultan which the Israelis previously designated as safe area but in Gaza nowhere is safe.

It was a horrible sight. The area was totally devastated with the smell of burning human flesh flowing as survivors went from one tent to another searching for their relatives and whimpering at the ones they lost.  

There were more ugliness. One report spoke of a child’s head and legs decapitated and were entire families were wiped out. This is a really massacre under a horrified world.

“Her head was cut off. I can’t recognize her,” one man mourns of one of his female relatives as he supplicates to God on the night of the massacre.

Tents were melting and the people’s bodies were also melting…” one eyewitness who arrived at the Kuwaiti hospital in Rafah said.

The scene was out of a book of horror stories.  French president Emmanuel Macron was outraged at the new massacre. So was Turkish president  Recep Tayyip Erdogan, calling Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as “barbaric” and that Turkey will do “everything possible to hold these barbarians and murders accountable.”

Spain, a country that just officially recognized an independent Palestinian state, and under its Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares expressed his horror at the Rafah tent massacre.

But he wasn’t the only one. Canada, a staunch Israeli ally, also expressed its abhorrence at the massacre. “We are horrified by the strikes that killed Palestinian civilians in Rafah,” Canadian Foreign Minister Melanie Joly wrote on the social media platform X and as quoted by the Palestinian news agency Wafa.

Condemnation of the Israeli massacre has come from all over the world. The Europeans are particularly angry as lead by EU Foreign Policy Chief Josep Borrell who expressed his dismay at the strikes on the Tel Al Sultan tent camp while writing on his X account

“Horrified by news coming out of Rafah on Israeli strikes killing dozens od displaced persons including small children. I condemn this in the strongest terms. There is no safe place in Gaza. These attacks must stop immediately.”

President of the European Council Charles Michel also said it was horrendous to see innocent civilians killed on the Israel attack on the tent camp of displaced persons in Rafah and called on the Israeli government to fully respect the International Court of Justice and to stop its military offensive on Rafah.

In a bid to contain the international heat on him Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu later called the Rafah massacre as a “tragic mishap”. He told the Knesset the Israei army was looking for Hamas fighters and that “despite our efforts not to hurt them [civilians] there was a tragic mishap. We are investigatinh the incident.”

Such language speaks of sheer hipocracy because the daily civilian death toll now stands at over 36,000 people with 81,000 injured, since Israel started the war on the Gaza Strip after 7 October, 2023.

This is besides the fact Netabyhu insists on sending the troops in Rafah despite the fact that there has been over 100 attacks on this small city just in the past two weeks.  

One finally commented “Israel’s bloodbath on Rafah…marks a new nadir in its savagery against Palestinians.” He says everyday a new threshold of savagery is crossed, just when we think we can’t see anything more heinous but Israel keeps going to greater depth.

  • CrossFireArabia

    CrossFireArabia

    Dr. Marwan Asmar holds a PhD from Leeds University and is a freelance writer specializing on the Middle East. He has worked as a journalist since the early 1990s in Jordan and the Gulf countries, and been widely published, including at Albawaba, Gulf News, Al Ghad, World Press Review and others.

    Related Posts

    Amnesty Condemns Netanyahu’s Visit to Hungry

    Responding to reports that Hungary’s Prime Minister Viktor Orbán has invited and plans to host Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Hungary on Wednesday, Erika Guevara-Rosas the head of Global Research, Advocacy and Policy of Amnesty International said:

    “Prime Minister Netanyahu is an alleged war criminal, who is accused of using starvation as a method of warfare, intentionally attacking civilians and the crimes against humanity of murder, persecution, and other inhumane acts.  As a member state of the International Criminal Court (ICC), Hungary must arrest him if he travels to the country and hand him over to the Court. Any trip he takes to an ICC member state that does not end in his arrest would embolden Israel to commit further crimes against Palestinians in the Occupied Palestinian Territory.

    “Netanyahu’s reported visit should be seen as a cynical effort to undermine the ICC and its work, and is an insult to the victims of these crimes who are looking to the Court for justice. Hungary’s invitation shows contempt for international law and confirms that alleged war criminals wanted by the ICC are welcome on the streets of a European Union member state.

    “Netanyahu’s visit to Hungary must not become a bellwether for the future of human rights in Europe. European and global leaders must end their shameful silence and inaction, and call on Hungary to arrest Netanyahu during a visit which would make a mockery of the suffering of Palestinian victims of Israel’s genocide in Gaza, its war crimes in other parts of the Occupied Palestinian Territory and its entrenched system of apartheid against all Palestinians whose rights it controls.

    “Amnesty International calls on the ICC Prosecutor to investigate and prosecute all Israel’s crimes. Hungary should equally do so by applying universal jurisdiction principles. Powerful leaders, like Netanyahu, accused by the ICC of war crimes and crimes against humanity, must no longer enjoy the prospect of perpetual impunity.”

    “The ICC was established to ensure accountability for victims of genocide and other crimes under international law, and so that crimes which shock the human conscience would “never again” be accompanied by impunity. In ‘bringing power to justice’, the ICC is now facing a global backlash from powerful leaders seeking to undermine the international rule of law and stamp out the prospect of accountability for the most powerful.”

    Background

    In November 2024, the ICC issued arrest warrants against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defence Minister Yoav Gallant, as well as al-Qassam brigades commander Mohammed Diab Ibrahim Al-Masri, on charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

    Since then, leaders from ICC member states France, Germany, Italy, Hungary and Poland have stated or implied that they would not arrest Benjamin Netanyahu if he travelled to their respective countries. The United States has also enacted sanctions against the ICC Prosecutor, Karim Khan.

    A cornerstone principle of the ICC’s founding Rome Statute is that all individuals subject to ICC arrest warrants must be arrested and surrendered to the Court without recourse to immunity when they are within the jurisdiction of ICC member states, including on their territory.

    Continue reading
    Israel Violates Syria With 11 Air Raids

    Israel will not leave Syria alone! Israeli raids, Wednesday evening, struck the Scientific Research Institute in the Barzeh neighborhood in Damascus according to Sana, the Syrian news agency.

    https://twitter.com/warintel4u/status/1907509948881502435

    Israeli warplanes went on to strike the Hama military base with more than 11 air raids, Sana pointed out. later reports show that the military airport was targeted 17 times.

    The Israeli Channel 12 added that an additional target was the T4 military airport in rural Homs.

    The Israeli raids, almost daily, started months ago on Syria and its capital, Damascus, and increased after 9 December 2024 when there was a change of regime in the country.

    Residents in Damascus said they heard loud explosions after the intense air raids that targeted the scientific building in Barzeh.

    But before that Israel has been conducting deadly air raids, literally mounting to thousands on Syria for years under the now ousted Baath regime of President Bashar Al Assad.

    Israel then claimed it was targeting Hezbollah and Iranian bases but there were many deaths and injuries.

    Israel occupied most of the Syrian Golan Heights after the 1967 Arab-Israel war, and took advantage of the fall of the regime and occupying the country’s buffer zone and declaring the collapse of the 1974 disengagement agreement between the two sides.

    Continue reading

    You Missed

    ‘In Gaza We Die a 1000 Deaths a Day’

    ‘In Gaza We Die a 1000 Deaths a Day’

    Amnesty Condemns Netanyahu’s Visit to Hungry

    Amnesty Condemns Netanyahu’s Visit to Hungry

    Trump, Iran And The ‘Nuclear Fight’

    Trump, Iran And The ‘Nuclear Fight’

    Israel Violates Syria With 11 Air Raids

    Israel Violates Syria With 11 Air Raids