Ship Catches Fire in Haifa Port, Hezbollah Blamed

A commercial ship in the Port of Haifa has caught fire with thick smoke billowing into the air with Hebrew sources saying there could be deaths as a result.

Although it is yet unconfirmed, it is suggested that the fire was the result of a missile fired by Hezbollah from southern Lebanon.  

This news is currently trending on social media. It is understood the ship caught fire while docking at the port, Monday evening.

Firefighters are battling the towering flames as shown in different video clips on the X platform.

The Israeli authorities are terming the fire as an accident but have opened an investigation into the incident. They won’t say or speculate about the causes of the flame that engulfed the Panama-flagged cargo vessel named YAF Horizon.

At first the ship was thought to be Israel-owned. Later on however, it became clear that YAF Horizon was a Turkish-owned ship carrying iron  and had been enroute to a Russian port but docked in the Haifa Port.

Ex-Mossad director Haim Tomar says Hezbollah is producing challenges to us that we never expected and the Israeli army has no answers for what is happening. 

He added the Israeli public should know that a comprehensive war would be a threat to the Zionist project and the future destiny of Accre, Tiberias and Haifa and Tel Aviv could be the same as Kiryat Shmona where fires there continued for at least 48 hours because of Hezbollah drone missiles recently.

This latest attack come days after the Houthis jointly attacked the Haifa port through a joint military action with an Iraqi-based militia according to Anadolu.

Houthi spokesman Yahya Saree said the first attack targeted two ships carrying military equipment at Haifa port, while the second targeted a vessel that violated a ban imposed on the port, the Turkish news agency reported.

  • CrossFireArabia

    CrossFireArabia

    Dr. Marwan Asmar holds a PhD from Leeds University and is a freelance writer specializing on the Middle East. He has worked as a journalist since the early 1990s in Jordan and the Gulf countries, and been widely published, including at Albawaba, Gulf News, Al Ghad, World Press Review and others.

    Related Posts

    Amnesty Condemns Netanyahu’s Visit to Hungry

    Responding to reports that Hungary’s Prime Minister Viktor Orbán has invited and plans to host Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Hungary on Wednesday, Erika Guevara-Rosas the head of Global Research, Advocacy and Policy of Amnesty International said:

    “Prime Minister Netanyahu is an alleged war criminal, who is accused of using starvation as a method of warfare, intentionally attacking civilians and the crimes against humanity of murder, persecution, and other inhumane acts.  As a member state of the International Criminal Court (ICC), Hungary must arrest him if he travels to the country and hand him over to the Court. Any trip he takes to an ICC member state that does not end in his arrest would embolden Israel to commit further crimes against Palestinians in the Occupied Palestinian Territory.

    “Netanyahu’s reported visit should be seen as a cynical effort to undermine the ICC and its work, and is an insult to the victims of these crimes who are looking to the Court for justice. Hungary’s invitation shows contempt for international law and confirms that alleged war criminals wanted by the ICC are welcome on the streets of a European Union member state.

    “Netanyahu’s visit to Hungary must not become a bellwether for the future of human rights in Europe. European and global leaders must end their shameful silence and inaction, and call on Hungary to arrest Netanyahu during a visit which would make a mockery of the suffering of Palestinian victims of Israel’s genocide in Gaza, its war crimes in other parts of the Occupied Palestinian Territory and its entrenched system of apartheid against all Palestinians whose rights it controls.

    “Amnesty International calls on the ICC Prosecutor to investigate and prosecute all Israel’s crimes. Hungary should equally do so by applying universal jurisdiction principles. Powerful leaders, like Netanyahu, accused by the ICC of war crimes and crimes against humanity, must no longer enjoy the prospect of perpetual impunity.”

    “The ICC was established to ensure accountability for victims of genocide and other crimes under international law, and so that crimes which shock the human conscience would “never again” be accompanied by impunity. In ‘bringing power to justice’, the ICC is now facing a global backlash from powerful leaders seeking to undermine the international rule of law and stamp out the prospect of accountability for the most powerful.”

    Background

    In November 2024, the ICC issued arrest warrants against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defence Minister Yoav Gallant, as well as al-Qassam brigades commander Mohammed Diab Ibrahim Al-Masri, on charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

    Since then, leaders from ICC member states France, Germany, Italy, Hungary and Poland have stated or implied that they would not arrest Benjamin Netanyahu if he travelled to their respective countries. The United States has also enacted sanctions against the ICC Prosecutor, Karim Khan.

    A cornerstone principle of the ICC’s founding Rome Statute is that all individuals subject to ICC arrest warrants must be arrested and surrendered to the Court without recourse to immunity when they are within the jurisdiction of ICC member states, including on their territory.

    Continue reading
    Israel Violates Syria With 11 Air Raids

    Israel will not leave Syria alone! Israeli raids, Wednesday evening, struck the Scientific Research Institute in the Barzeh neighborhood in Damascus according to Sana, the Syrian news agency.

    https://twitter.com/warintel4u/status/1907509948881502435

    Israeli warplanes went on to strike the Hama military base with more than 11 air raids, Sana pointed out. later reports show that the military airport was targeted 17 times.

    The Israeli Channel 12 added that an additional target was the T4 military airport in rural Homs.

    The Israeli raids, almost daily, started months ago on Syria and its capital, Damascus, and increased after 9 December 2024 when there was a change of regime in the country.

    Residents in Damascus said they heard loud explosions after the intense air raids that targeted the scientific building in Barzeh.

    But before that Israel has been conducting deadly air raids, literally mounting to thousands on Syria for years under the now ousted Baath regime of President Bashar Al Assad.

    Israel then claimed it was targeting Hezbollah and Iranian bases but there were many deaths and injuries.

    Israel occupied most of the Syrian Golan Heights after the 1967 Arab-Israel war, and took advantage of the fall of the regime and occupying the country’s buffer zone and declaring the collapse of the 1974 disengagement agreement between the two sides.

    Continue reading

    You Missed

    ‘In Gaza We Die a 1000 Deaths a Day’

    ‘In Gaza We Die a 1000 Deaths a Day’

    Amnesty Condemns Netanyahu’s Visit to Hungry

    Amnesty Condemns Netanyahu’s Visit to Hungry

    Trump, Iran And The ‘Nuclear Fight’

    Trump, Iran And The ‘Nuclear Fight’

    Israel Violates Syria With 11 Air Raids

    Israel Violates Syria With 11 Air Raids