Israel Demolishes Palestinian School

Israeli occupiers on Thursday demolished the Yanon Mixed Basic School in the hamlet of Khirbet Yanon in the northern occupied West Bank, local media reported.

According to the Palestinian news agency Wafa, the school demolition followed years of mounting pressure on the small Palestinian hamlet in the area.

Khirbet Yanon had for years faced repeated attempts by Israeli forces and occupiers to forcibly relocate residents from the area.

By Dec. 28, 2025, only one family remained in the hamlet after most residents had fled and the government-run school had closed.

Wafa said the hamlet had been home to 16 Palestinian families for two decades before occupier attacks and restrictions on movement, farming, and daily life forced most of the residents to leave for safety. The agency did not specify where the displaced families were relocated.

In a statement, the Palestinian Education Ministry described the demolition as “a new crime against Palestinian children” and “a flagrant violation of international humanitarian law and international conventions that guarantee the right to education and prohibit attacks on educational institutions.”

It said the destruction of the school was part of a “systematic” policy aimed at undermining the education system, increasing pressure on Palestinian communities, and depriving children of their fundamental right to education. Anadolu

The ministry said it would continue working with partner organizations to ensure students can continue their education despite the ongoing Israeli violations.

It called on the international community, the UN, and human rights organizations to fulfill their legal and moral responsibilities by taking urgent action to protect education in Palestine, hold Israel accountable for repeated violations against students and schools, and end attacks on educational institutions.

CrossFireArabia

CrossFireArabia

Dr. Marwan Asmar holds a PhD from Leeds University and is a freelance writer specializing on the Middle East. He has worked as a journalist since the early 1990s in Jordan and the Gulf countries, and been widely published, including at Albawaba, Gulf News, Al Ghad, World Press Review and others.

Related Posts

Gaza: Only 3% of Land Safe to Grow Food

Amid ongoing deadly hostilities in Gaza, the enclave’s farmers face the increasingly difficult challenge of finding safe land to grow their crops.

Satellite images published last Tuesday in news analysis from the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and UNOSAT, the UN Satellite Centre, indicate that just three per cent (448 hectares) of the shattered enclave’s farmland remains usable. 

In October 2025, only 601 hectares were accessible and undamaged.

This latest assessment paints a stark picture of the continued deterioration of Gaza’s agriculture sector,” said Rein Paulsen, Director of FAO’s Office of Emergencies and Resilience. “Without urgent action to restore safe access and provide farmers with the support they need, opportunities to restore local food production will continue to diminish.”

Bombed out

For cucumber and tomato grower Taysir Dahdouh, the war between Hamas fighters and Israel sparked by Hamas’s deadly attacks in October 2023 has been marked by overwhelming loss.

“I had a good income before the war,” he said. “Suddenly, we were left with nothing…Even the steel frames of the greenhouses disappeared, along with our homes, belongings, and irrigation pipes. Nothing was left.”

After returning from displacement, Mr. Dahdouh tried to restore the land using basic tools, working with his family. “We managed to rehabilitate about one dunum (about one-tenth of a hectare) of our land to bring it back to life,” he explained.

Another Gaza farmer, Wajiha Dahdouh, highlighted other equally serious problems: “We came back to support ourselves and return to farming so we could survive. Unfortunately, there is not enough water, there are no fertilizers, no seeds, and none of the basic necessities that would allow people to continue their lives.”

Squeezed out

The reduced growing space for Gaza’s farmers today is mainly the result of a lack of access, rather than additional damage from the war, which was already massive.

In June 2026, just over 4,000 hectares of cropland in Gaza – or 27 per cent – could be reached, but approximately 3,600 hectares of this was unfit for planting.

Farmers in Deir al-Balah and Khan Younis have seen the largest reductions in available land, FAO said. 

This is primarily because of the “westward expansion” of the so-called ‘Yellow Line’ that separates the ceasefire zone from the Israel Defense Forces’ military-controlled area.

Rafah in the far south of Gaza has the highest levels of inaccessible cropland and greenhouse growing areas, at 97.2 per cent and 98.4 per cent respectively.

“The most extensive physical damage remains concentrated in North Gaza and Gaza governorates,” the agency noted. Most damage is in North Gaza and Gaza, satellite images show.

An infographic showing a map of Gaza and a bar chart illustrating the percentage of cropland that is damaged or accessible in 2025 and projected for 2026.
Lucica Matei UN News infographic

The situation for Gazans remains dire. Just this weekend, UN partners reported multiple air strikes and incidents of shelling, gunfire and naval fire, primarily west of the Yellow Line, where most of Gaza’s 2.1 million people are now confined to an area less than half the size of the enclave. UN News

Continue reading
Gaza: Lolo Heriz Finally Buried After 975 Days

After she was killed in an Israeli airstrike, the body of Palestinian bride Lolo Heriz was recovered from beneath the rubble of her family home in Gaza. Lolo was killed on 18 December, 2023, alongside members of her family.

Continue reading

You Missed

Palestine: Heritage, Folklore

Palestine: Heritage, Folklore

Gaza: Only 3% of Land Safe to Grow Food

Gaza: Only 3% of Land Safe to Grow Food

Gaza: Lolo Heriz Finally Buried After 975 Days

Gaza: Lolo Heriz Finally Buried After 975 Days

57th Year of Al Aqsa Burning: ‘The Fire Continues’ Ekrima Sabri Warns

57th Year of Al Aqsa Burning: ‘The Fire Continues’ Ekrima Sabri Warns

Remember Hind Rajab

  • By Heba
  • August 20, 2026
  • 14 views
Remember Hind Rajab

A ‘Palestinian’ Palace in Jerusalem

A ‘Palestinian’ Palace in Jerusalem