Mideast in Tailspin of Destruction

On day 10 of the war engulfing the Middle East, UN agencies on Monday reported massive displacement across the region, along with surging food and fuel prices that risk increasing hunger and suffering for the most vulnerable.

In Lebanon alone, nearly 700,000 people including around 200,000 children have been forced from their homes, “adding to the tens of thousands already uprooted from previous escalations”, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEFsaid.

The development follows a weekend of escalating Israeli and U.S. strikes against Iran, counter-strikes by Iranian forces across Israel and explosions in several Gulf States, along with Israeli strikes targeting Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Heavy toll

In its latest update, the UN relief coordination office, OCHA, said that 294 people had been killed in Lebanon and more than 1,000 injured in the first eight days of the war.

On Saturday, 7 March, 41 people were killed in a single operation by Israeli forces in the town of Nabi Sheet in eastern Lebanon that also left dozens wounded, OCHA said, citing the Lebanese authorities.

In addition to “intensified airstrikes across multiple governorates” of Lebanon, the office also noted that Israeli evacuation orders had been reissued for a third time since the war began, covering the entire areas south of the Litani River, and the second time for Beirut’s southern suburbs.

Civilian toll mounts

Over the weekend, the Israeli health authorities reported that around 2,000 people have been injured in Israel since the conflict erupted on Saturday 28 February; one person was also killed when a missile landed in central Israel on Monday.

Iranian authorities have said that at least 1,330 civilians had been killed in the war amid ongoing Israeli and US strikes, while on Monday, the Bahraini authorities said that more than 30 people had been injured by an Iranian drone attack early Monday, as Qatari officials condemned the killing of two civilians in Saudi Arabia.

Ever greater needs

Echoing the deep concerns across the international community at the impact of the ongoing war on civilians, the UN’s top aid official, Tom Fletcher, warned of wider, secondary impacts in countries including Afghanistan and Pakistan “where needs were already great”.

Added to that, the focus on existing crises such as Sudan, South Sudan and Ukraine is slipping “even further down the list”, the emergency relief chief noted, along with continued disregard for international law and institutions including the UN that were created to prevent conflict.

Strait of Hormuz crisis

As rapidly rising fuel prices at the pump on Monday linked to higher oil barrel costs reflected deep economic uncertainty caused by the war, UN agencies also highlighted “severe global supply chain disruptions” affecting shipping, energy and fertilizer markets.

Attacks on shipping in the Strait of Hormuz have practically halted trade along the narrow channel, which carries nearly one-fifth of global oil shipments, along with large volumes of commercial goods.

On Friday, at least four seafarers were killed and three severely injured in the Strait of Hormuz when their vessel was attacked.

Meanwhile, drone attacks on Omani ports have also raised concerns – and costs – of chartered traffic heading there.

According to the International Maritime Organization (IMO), around 20,000 seafarers remained stranded in the Persian Gulf.

The conflict is already having immediate food security impacts in the Middle East,” said the UN World Food Programme (WFP), which explained that a significant share of the global fertilizer supply transits through the Strait of Hormuz.

“Any disruption there risks reduced availability, lower crop yields, and hence higher global food prices,” it said.

Satellite view of the Strait of Hormuz, connecting the Gulf of Oman to the Persian Gulf, separating Iran from Oman, UAE, and Qatar.

© NASA

A satellite photo shows the strategically important shipping route of the Strait of Hormuz.

Food security concerns

The UN agency also underscored already high levels of food insecurity in Lebanon before the war, as well as Iran, where households have “limited capacity to absorb further shocks”.

In Gaza, sharp food price increases were triggered by the closure of key aid crossing points from Israel, WFP continued, adding that although Kerem Shalom/ Karem Abu Salem crossing has since reopened, food prices remain high.

Without consistent access, WFP could be forced to reduce food rations to just 25 percent of daily requirements for approximately 1.3 million people. Fragile gains achieved following the ceasefire risk being reversed without reliable humanitarian corridors,” it said.

Faced with longer transit times and knock-on delays to humanitarian deliveries, the UN agency and partners have increasingly used suppliers and transit corridors through Türkiye, Egypt, Jordan and Pakistan, while making greater use of overland routes between the United Arab Emirates and the eastern Mediterranean coastal region.

WFP also noted that its Dubai humanitarian hub remains operational despite disruption to flights and shipping.

UN News

  • CrossFireArabia

    CrossFireArabia

    Dr. Marwan Asmar holds a PhD from Leeds University and is a freelance writer specializing on the Middle East. He has worked as a journalist since the early 1990s in Jordan and the Gulf countries, and been widely published, including at Albawaba, Gulf News, Al Ghad, World Press Review and others.

    Related Posts

    Israel Kills 200 Lebanese Children – UNICEF

    More than four children have been killed or injured every day on average in Lebanon in the first 25 days of a temporary ceasefire with families still unable to return to their homes, said Save the Children.

    New data from Lebanon’s Ministry of Health on Tuesday showed that 22 children have been killed and 89 injured since the temporary ceasefire started on 17 April. This brings the number of children killed in Israeli strikes since renewed escalation in hostilities in Lebanon on 2 March to almost 200 with about 2,900 people killed.

    The violence and renewed displacement orders have forced more than one million people – or one in six of the population – from their homes with many now living with relatives, in host communities or in collective shelters.

    The number of families living in collective shelters has increased 5% since the conditional ceasefire due to renewed displacement orders by Israeli forces and as families return home to find destroyed houses and damaged farmland so move back the collective shelters. There are now 44,800 children among about 125,000 people in collective shelters.

    Thousands of children have been living in collective shelters for over two months in overcrowded conditions with inadequate water, sanitation and hygiene facilities leading to reports of scabies and growing health concerns.

    Parents are reporting widespread behavioural changes among children living in collective shelters due to a lack of routine and reduced school engagement including loss of appetite and trouble sleeping. Many children are struggling to continue learning with some schools used as collective shelters and also difficulties accessing online learning due to limited electricity, and poor connectivity.

    Tala*, 10, has been living in a collective shelter after being displaced from southern Lebanon, said:

    “I just want the war to end so I can go home to my village and sleep in my own bed. I really miss school, I want to see my teachers and be with my friends, and study and play again.”

    Nora Ingdal, Save the Children’s Lebanon Country Director, said:

    “This ‘so called’ ceasefire that still sees more than four children killed or injured every day is not a ceasefire for children. Attacks on civilians have not stopped – it has simply continued under another name. Colleagues have told me that the airstrikes feel more intense in some areas than they ever did before. Children are not safe until there is a permanent and definitive ceasefire with no violations.”

    With further peace talks set to take place on Thursday to determine next steps between Lebanon and Israel, Save the Children is calling on the international community to urgently work toward a permanent and definitive ceasefire and ensure flexible and sustained funding to protect children and allow families to return home to resume their lives.

    Save the Children has worked in Lebanon since 1953. In collaboration with partners and local authorities, we are distributing essential items in hard-to-reach areas in the south, provide psychosocial support for children, educate families and children about the risks of unexploded ordnance, ensure access to safe water and sanitation facilities, and distribute essential items for those displaced.

    ENDS:

    Sources:

    Lebanon Ministry of Health

    Israeli strikes have killed 380 in Lebanon since truce: Health ministry

    Lebanon Ministry of Health

    Lebanon-Emergency-Sitrep-23-2026.pdf

    Continue reading

    You Missed

    Jordan 2007! Elections and Hiccups: Looking Backwards

    Jordan 2007! Elections and Hiccups: Looking Backwards

    Iran is Writing The Final Chapter!

    Iran is Writing The Final Chapter!

    Gaza Fishermen Dream of Life Prior to 7 Oct

    Gaza Fishermen Dream of Life Prior to 7 Oct

    Giant Phillippines Volcano Shows no Rest!

    Giant Phillippines Volcano Shows no Rest!

    The Chinese Fortune Cookie and The “Thucydides Trap”! A  View From Amman

    The Chinese Fortune Cookie and The “Thucydides Trap”! A  View From Amman

    Israel Kills 200 Lebanese Children – UNICEF

    Israel Kills 200 Lebanese Children – UNICEF