UNESCO Places Sebastia on World Heritage ‘Danger List’

Palestine has successfully secured the inscription of the archaeological site of Sebastia on UNESCO’s List of World Heritage in Danger, Palestinian Minister of Tourism and Antiquities Hani al-Hayek announced on Friday.

The decision was made during the 48th session of the World Heritage Committee of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), held in Busan, South Korea.

The committee approved the listing of Sebastia under the emergency procedure and based on criterion (iii) of the World Heritage Convention, following the adoption of Palestine’s nomination file, which highlighted the site’s outstanding universal value as a unique testimony to the succession of civilizations and cultures that inhabited the area from the Iron Age through the Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Crusader, and Ottoman periods.

In its decision, the committee said Sebastia is distinguished by its multiple archaeological layers and clear historical sequence, reflecting the continuous development of an urban, political, and religious center over more than two millennia, giving the site exceptional universal value deserving protection under the World Heritage Convention.

The committee also decided to place the site on the List of World Heritage in Danger due to what it described as serious threats, including Israeli occupation-related measures, land seizure plans, projects aimed at altering the historical and archaeological character of the site, and restrictions affecting protection, management, and preservation efforts.

The Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities welcomed the decision, describing the inscription of Sebastia as a historic national achievement that reflects Palestine’s cultural significance and demonstrates its commitment to protecting its cultural heritage in accordance with international standards despite challenges posed by Israeli occupation practices. WAFA

Related Posts

Prisoner Mohammad Arab Hadn’t Seen His Face in 2 Years!

Al Sabeel:

A photo of Palestinian journalist Mohammed Arab, taken during his court hearing, was published, Sunday. This is the first photo of him to be released since his arrest by Israeli forces at Al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City. The Palestinian Center for the Defense of Prisoners stated that Arab has spent over two years without seeing his own face in a mirror. He was forced to appeal to the court to request summer clothes and underwear, which he had been denied for extended periods, under harsh detention conditions that began with enforced disappearance and continued with mistreatment and the denial of basic rights.

Continue reading
UN: 3000 Settler Attacks on West Bank Palestinians Since 2025

CROSSFIREARABIA – UN figures show groups of armed Israeli settlers are going on the rampage in the West Bank and made 3000 attacks in Palestinian towns, villages and Palestinian farms since the beginning of 2025. In a statement, Sunday, the UN warned there is an unprecedented escalation in the attacks made by the Israeli army and settlers against Palestinians in the West Bank. It said the Palestinians are facing methodological operations where they are being killed and forcibly displaced from their lands on a widescale whether on the urban level and in Bedouin dwellings. The UN agencies clarified the settler attacks has led to hundreds of Palestinians being injured with their properties destroyed including their homes and mosques set on fire, and water networks vandalized under the pretext they are being protected by the Israeli occupation forces.

Continue reading

You Missed

Prisoner Mohammad Arab Hadn’t Seen His Face in 2 Years!

Prisoner Mohammad Arab Hadn’t Seen His Face in 2 Years!

UN: 3000 Settler Attacks on West Bank Palestinians Since 2025

UN: 3000 Settler Attacks on West Bank Palestinians Since 2025

Four Days in Cairo: A Journey Into The Faces of Egypt

Four Days in Cairo: A Journey Into The Faces of Egypt

Click in Gaza

  • By marwan
  • August 16, 2026
  • 11 views
Click in Gaza

Hisham Sharabi: Embers and Ashes

Hisham Sharabi: Embers and Ashes

Independent: Israeli Settlers Set Fire to a Home With a Child Inside

Independent: Israeli Settlers Set Fire to a Home With a Child Inside