Israel Killed Two-thirds of Journalists Globally – RCBJ eport

A record of 129 journalists and media workers were killed worldwide last year, with Israel responsible for two-thirds of the global total, the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) reported, Wednesday.

The New York-based committee said 2025 was the deadliest year for the press, with the majority of those killed were Palestinian journalists and media workers killed by Israel in the Gaza Strip.

“Journalists are being killed in record numbers at a time when access to information is more important than ever,” CPJ Executive Director Jodie Ginsberg said in a statement.

“Attacks on the media are a leading indicator of attacks on other freedoms, and much more needs to be done to prevent these killings and punish the perpetrators. We are all at risk when journalists are killed for reporting the news.”

CPJ said more than three-quarters of journalist deaths in 2025 occurred in conflict zones.

The committee noted an increase in the use of drones to kill journalists last year, with 39 journalists killed by drones, including 28 reporters in Gaza by the Israeli army.

CPJ said that nine journalists were killed in Sudan and four in Ukraine last year.

“The numbers were still very low compared to Israel, which remains a significant exception,” it added.

The committee said that the rising number of journalist deaths “is fueled by a persistent culture of impunity,” with very few transparent investigations conducted into the 47 cases of targeted killings of journalists in 2025.

“No one has been held accountable in any of the cases.”

It warned that the continued failure of government leaders to protect the press or hold their attackers to account “lays the groundwork for more killings, including in countries not at war.”

CPJ called for radical reform in the ways governments investigate journalist killings “in order to bring perpetrators to justice, including establishing an international investigative task force and imposing targeted sanctions,” Anadolu reported.

The Israeli army has killed more than 72,000 people, mostly women and children, and injured over 171,000 others in Gaza in a two-year offensive since October 2023.

The assault was halted under a US-backed ceasefire that took effect on Oct. 10. Despite the truce, Israeli forces have committed hundreds of violations through shelling and gunfire, killing at least 615 people and injuring over 1,600 others, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.

Israel has also escalated its assaults in the occupied West Bank since the Gaza war, killing at least 1,112 Palestinians and wounding about 11,500 others during the same period.

CrossFireArabia

CrossFireArabia

Dr. Marwan Asmar holds a PhD from Leeds University and is a freelance writer specializing on the Middle East. He has worked as a journalist since the early 1990s in Jordan and the Gulf countries, and been widely published, including at Albawaba, Gulf News, Al Ghad, World Press Review and others.

Related Posts

Israel Kills 200 Lebanese Children – UNICEF

More than four children have been killed or injured every day on average in Lebanon in the first 25 days of a temporary ceasefire with families still unable to return to their homes, said Save the Children.

New data from Lebanon’s Ministry of Health on Tuesday showed that 22 children have been killed and 89 injured since the temporary ceasefire started on 17 April. This brings the number of children killed in Israeli strikes since renewed escalation in hostilities in Lebanon on 2 March to almost 200 with about 2,900 people killed.

The violence and renewed displacement orders have forced more than one million people – or one in six of the population – from their homes with many now living with relatives, in host communities or in collective shelters.

The number of families living in collective shelters has increased 5% since the conditional ceasefire due to renewed displacement orders by Israeli forces and as families return home to find destroyed houses and damaged farmland so move back the collective shelters. There are now 44,800 children among about 125,000 people in collective shelters.

Thousands of children have been living in collective shelters for over two months in overcrowded conditions with inadequate water, sanitation and hygiene facilities leading to reports of scabies and growing health concerns.

Parents are reporting widespread behavioural changes among children living in collective shelters due to a lack of routine and reduced school engagement including loss of appetite and trouble sleeping. Many children are struggling to continue learning with some schools used as collective shelters and also difficulties accessing online learning due to limited electricity, and poor connectivity.

Tala*, 10, has been living in a collective shelter after being displaced from southern Lebanon, said:

“I just want the war to end so I can go home to my village and sleep in my own bed. I really miss school, I want to see my teachers and be with my friends, and study and play again.”

Nora Ingdal, Save the Children’s Lebanon Country Director, said:

“This ‘so called’ ceasefire that still sees more than four children killed or injured every day is not a ceasefire for children. Attacks on civilians have not stopped – it has simply continued under another name. Colleagues have told me that the airstrikes feel more intense in some areas than they ever did before. Children are not safe until there is a permanent and definitive ceasefire with no violations.”

With further peace talks set to take place on Thursday to determine next steps between Lebanon and Israel, Save the Children is calling on the international community to urgently work toward a permanent and definitive ceasefire and ensure flexible and sustained funding to protect children and allow families to return home to resume their lives.

Save the Children has worked in Lebanon since 1953. In collaboration with partners and local authorities, we are distributing essential items in hard-to-reach areas in the south, provide psychosocial support for children, educate families and children about the risks of unexploded ordnance, ensure access to safe water and sanitation facilities, and distribute essential items for those displaced.

ENDS:

Sources:

Lebanon Ministry of Health

Israeli strikes have killed 380 in Lebanon since truce: Health ministry

Lebanon Ministry of Health

Lebanon-Emergency-Sitrep-23-2026.pdf

Continue reading

You Missed

Jordan 2007! Elections and Hiccups: Looking Backwards

Jordan 2007! Elections and Hiccups: Looking Backwards

Iran is Writing The Final Chapter!

Iran is Writing The Final Chapter!

Gaza Fishermen Dream of Life Prior to 7 Oct

Gaza Fishermen Dream of Life Prior to 7 Oct

Giant Phillippines Volcano Shows no Rest!

Giant Phillippines Volcano Shows no Rest!

The Chinese Fortune Cookie and The “Thucydides Trap”! A  View From Amman

The Chinese Fortune Cookie and The “Thucydides Trap”! A  View From Amman

Israel Kills 200 Lebanese Children – UNICEF

Israel Kills 200 Lebanese Children – UNICEF