Israel No Longer Wants The UN in Palestine

Scaling up aid delivery remains a challenge in Gaza as the war reaches the 300-day mark, the head of the UN humanitarian affairs office, OCHA, in the Occupied Palestinian Territory said on Thursday.

Andrea De Domenico was speaking from Jerusalem in his final briefing to journalists at UN Headquarters in New York as the Israeli authorities have not renewed his visa.

Reflecting on his time in the region, Mr. De Domenico recalled that the UN Secretary-General had previously said that Gaza was becoming a graveyard for children and “unfortunately he was right, and this is what Gaza became”.

He said the international community “has to answer the question of how much human suffering can be tolerated in the name of security.”

‘Systematic de-humanization of civilians’

Mr. De Domenico said that over the past 10 months, he had witnessed “the systematic dehumanization of civilians” in both Gaza and the West Bank, and “the absolute physical and psychological exhaustion of an entire population.”

He also voiced concern over “the growing anger towards Israel, awakening the dark forces that could fuel antisemitism”, noting that the UN continues to call for all leaders to speak out against antisemitism, anti-Muslim bigotry and hate speech, which only reinforce stigma and marginalization.

The top humanitarian said it was “kind of a coincidence” that his final briefing was taking place on the eve of the 300-day mark.

The war erupted in response to Hamas-led terror attacks in southern Israel on 7 October 2023 which left some 1,250 dead. More than 250 people were taken to Gaza as hostages, and 115 remain in the enclave.

Death and destruction mounting

Mr. De Domenico said recent weeks had seen more evacuation orders in Gaza, which sparked more displacement, and it was “particularly worrisome” that they affected areas that Israeli had unilaterally declared as safe zones.

More than 200,000 people were displaced but spontaneous returns have been occurring over the past few days.

“And we will keep on trying to deliver a response to those people in those areas,” he said. “The reality, though, remains that our ability to deliver has never gone up to scale.”

Meanwhile, the toll of the war is still increasing. More than 39,000 people in Gaza have killed, 91,000 injured, 90 per cent of the population -1.9 million people – is displaced, and 60 per cent of residential buildings have been destroyed, with an estimated 49 million tonnes of debris generated.

Furthermore, food insecurity is at its highest level, and polio was recently found in sewage samples.

“In this environment we do a lot,” he said. “We provide people with water, food, tents, clothing, hygiene items, nutritional supplements, and cash. We equip hospitals with bed stretchers, medicine, meals and facilities with medical evacuation.”

However, he said “all these efforts are nowhere near where they should be in terms of helping people”, highlighting the need to scale up operations.

He also pointed to “rays of hope”, such as the start that day of a programme to provide informal learning for some 30,000 children, which is being run by UNRWA, the UN agency that assists Palestine refugees, and the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF)

West Bank violence

Mr. De Domenico also addressed the situation in the West Bank, where the UN has verified the killing of 572 Palestinians, including 141 children, since 7 October. Most were shot by Israeli forces and settlers. Fourteen Israelis were killed during the same period.

Demolitions have also continued, and they now seem to be “spreading all over and also affecting houses that are in areas that were for many years untouched”. In total, more than 1,300 structures been demolished, nearly 40 per cent of which were inhabited, displacing nearly 3,000 people.

At the same time, search and rescue operations “have become more and more frequent” and “seem to be more military operations rather than police enforcement operations”, resulting in “huge devastation to civilian infrastructure.

“We have seen, for example, streets completely demolished, and sewage network demolished, and that of course has an impact on public health.”

He also reported that the Israeli military’s “attitude” towards humanitarians is also becoming more aggressive.

“We have been systematically stopped at checkpoints and identified. They request the staff to step out of the vehicle, take out the keys. They want to ID every single staff and it seems that this is unfortunately a growing trend”.

Lack of permits and visas for staff is also becoming a problem for international non-governmental organizations in the West Bank.

Asked about his own situation, Mr. De Dominico said visas were previously given for a year and after the war began, they were shortened to three to six months.

He was recently given a one-month extension and warned that it would not be renewed.

“The straw that broke the camel’s back is the publication of the Children and Armed Conflict report from the United Nations, and they alluded to long-standing issue of reporting that OCHA has been doing,” he said.

“But this has been communicated verbally and there is no formal communication that I’ve received, despite asking repeatedly.”

Reliefweb

Continue reading
Türkiye Denounces Israel’s Attacks on Journalists

Türkiye, Friday, slammed Israel’s recent attacks on journalists, underlining their commitment to supporting media professionals reporting on the Palestinian plight.

“We wish a speedy recovery to the TRT News cameraman who was injured in occupiers’ attack, and we extend our get-well wishes to the TRT family,” the Turkish Foreign Ministry said in a written statement according to Anadolu.

“We see that Israel has not realized for months that it cannot conceal the truth by attacking journalists,” the ministry said.

“Brave and honorable journalists will continue to resolutely report the oppression happening in Palestine to the whole world, and our Ministry will stand by them in this struggle,” it added.

Israeli police prevented hundreds of Palestinian youths from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque in occupied Jerusalem for Friday prayers, witnesses told Anadolu.

Police officers stationed at the mosque’s outer gates turned away hundreds of youths seeking to pray, the witnesses said, adding that the police assaulted some of them.

The witnesses said that police beat one young man near Lion’s Gate, injuring his head. They also claimed that a member of the Turkish television network TRT was assaulted by police in the same area without any reason.

The Israeli police did not provide reasons for barring the large number of youths from entering the mosque or for the assaults. However, restrictions on youths entering the mosque have been tightening over the past few weeks.

The Islamic Waqf in Jerusalem, an organization under Jordanian authority responsible for managing the mosque’s affairs, stated that 35,000 people managed to perform prayers at Al-Aqsa Mosque despite Israeli restrictions.

Tensions have been running high across the occupied West Bank, including Jerusalem, amid a deadly Israeli offensive that killed nearly 39,200 people in the Gaza Strip since Oct. 7, 2023.

At least 590 Palestinians have since been killed and nearly 5,400 others injured by Israeli army fire in the occupied West Bank, according to the Health Ministry.

In a landmark opinion on July 19, the International Court of Justice declared Israel’s decades-long occupation of Palestinian land “illegal” and called for the evacuation of all existing settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem according to the Turkish news agency.

Continue reading
‘Art is Resistance’ Says Sliman Mansour

Sliman Mansour, a prominent figure in modern Palestinian art, emphasized the importance of “rehumanizing” the Palestinian people, noting that he spent his youth fighting against the erasure of Palestinian identity.

“The Israelis and the West – they’ve been trying very hard to dehumanize us. As artists and people who deal with culture, it’s our role to rehumanize the Palestinian people,” Mansour told Anadolu.

The 77-year-old renowned artist, sculptor, writer and cartoonist, who depicts the historical struggle of Palestinians through his paintings, said he sees art as a form of resistance.

Born in 1947 in the town of Birzeit in the West Bank city of Ramallah, Mansour has portrayed the Palestinian resistance through his art for over half a century.

“I would like to show that Palestinians cherish their land and are holding onto it, and they are saying in poems about the beauty of the land. In my art, I want to show the beauty of the landscape of the land. I want to show that we live in a very unjust situation,” he said.

‘Don’t forget Palestine’

“I’m not thinking about the whole people. I think about the Palestinian people, and especially those who live outside who never saw Palestine. My message for them is: Don’t forget Palestine and Palestine is beautiful. In my art, there is no message of hate. It’s beauty and love.”

Mansour, who lived through the Six Day War between Arab states and Israel in June 1967, often draws attention to the conflicts and pressures faced by Palestinians.

Using symbols derived from Palestinian culture, history, and traditions, Mansour underscores the deep attachment Palestinians have to their land, which serves as a significant source of inspiration for his work.

“Everybody is fighting about the land, and the land is my main inspiration. I was born in a village and I experienced the land and working in the land and living in a village,” he said. “I think the memories of childhood always stay with people, even if they leave the village. From these memories, I think I take my imagination and I take my inspiration,” he said.

Saying that Jerusalem is a symbol of Palestine, and the Dome of the Rock is a symbol of Jerusalem, Mansour said he reflected this idea in a painting titled, The Camel of Hardships, which contained his first political message.

“But the first main painting that I did that had very obvious political meanings is the old man carrying Jerusalem on his back. I have a big family outside, living in the US and everywhere. I noticed that everybody was outside of Palestine. He goes out and he thinks he’s free from all the political pressures.

“But no, he’s always carrying his Palestinian on his back. If you are a Palestinian, you are a problem just because you exist. I wanted to show this fact about Palestinians who live abroad,” he said.

Mansour said in his 1989 work titled, Rituals Under Occupation, he depicted crowds carrying a cross covered with the Palestinian flag and extending toward the horizon.

He received inspiration from a Palestinian judge who lived in the Old City in Jerusalem and had a son who could not walk. Mansour said the Palestinian identity is a “big burden” for them.

“I talked to him (the judge) and he said that everybody in the world has his own cross, and Palestinian people have, all of them, have one big cross,” he said.

“The Palestinian identity is a big burden for us. Our existence is a problem. The flag became one of the main important images of Palestinian identity. The flag is the Palestinian identity, and it’s forever. We don’t see the end of it,” he added.

Mansur pointed out that one of the most frequently used symbols in his work is the olive tree, highlighting his 2021 piece, From the River to the Sea.

“It’s half olive tree and half orange tree. The olive tree symbolizes the land that was occupied in 1967. The orange tree — it symbolizes the land that was occupied in 1948,” he said.

Olive tree, orange tree

Saying that he does not only address the Israeli occupation but also underscores the resilience of the olive tree in the painting, Mansour clarified: “Olive trees – it can live in very rough places on the mountains and without water, and its roots are very long inside the land.

It symbolizes perseverance and the feeling of being that – holding the land and not giving up. In my opinion, Palestinians are like the olive tree,” he added.

Highlighting the Israeli occupation with barbed wire in his paintings, Mansour said: “Barbed wire symbolizes the occupation. It symbolizes also the settlements.”

“Because in every settlement, you see these barbed wires all around the settlement. For Palestinians, when they see barbed wires, it’s either a settlement or a military base or something. It symbolizes the occupation. They want to forbid you to come near that area,” he said.

Adding he is not always hopeful as an artist, Mansur referred to his 2018 work, Temporary Escape, where he expressed those feelings.

“I made this painting during this time when I felt very, very depressed and hopeless. When you live in occupied land, you are the target of many media people that — they aim to defeat you. I mean, defeat you from the inside. Sometimes they succeed, but then you wake up after a while. This is a fight that you have to go in,” he added.

Mentioning the impact of art on the Palestinian resistance, Mansour stated: “If the artist is really truthful with his feelings, he could be effective or she could be effective.”

“Some artists, they do it just because they have to do it. It doesn’t affect anybody. But my art is still, until now, it’s effective because I do what I like to do. It comes out from my heart,” he said.

“It’s not enough to come from your heart. You have to feel a belonging to the culture of your people. It’s not enough to feel belonging, but you have to study it. If you want to express your art through this culture, you have to know this culture very good. I think I have been through that,” he added in an interview with the Turkish news agency.

Continue reading
UN: Nine Out of 10 in Gaza Displaced

At lease nine out of 10 people in the Gaza Strip are now displaced and have no homes and forced to move around the enclave multiple times.

“We are again at the crossroads where the UN and its partners has to reset their operations,” Andrea De Domenico, head of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in the occupied Palestinian Territory, said at a virtual news conference as reported in Anadolu.

De Domenico noted Israel’s recent evacuation order in Khan Younis has affected a third of the enclave, further exacerbating the displacement crisis.

“…We estimated that nine of every 10 people in the Gaza Strip have been internally displaced at least once, if not up to 10 times, unfortunately, since October,” he reported.

“People in the last nine months have been moved around like pawns in a board game, forced from one location to the next location.”

De Domenico said residents have to rebuild extremely difficult living conditions each time, leading to more suffering and a greater need for humanitarian aid.

Stressing that the UN will continue to stay in the region, he highlighted that aid distribution is challenging every day.

Citing the Palestinian Authority’s Bureau of Statistics, De Domenico said Gaza’s population is 2.3 million and he estimated that 110,000 have left Gaza, and 37,000 have been killed.

Meanwhile the UN lowered its population estimates of Gaza from roughly 2.3 million people to about 2.1 million, following thousands of deaths and exodus of Palestinians.

He said that 110,000 people have fled Gaza and crossed into Egypt since October, according to the border authority, and close to 38,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israel’s war.

Over 87,000 Palestinians are wounded, while another 10,000 are estimated to be buried under the debris of bombed homes according to TRT.

Continue reading