Spanish Teachers Demand Arms Embargo of Israel

Dozens of teachers locked themselves inside a cultural center in Madrid on Tuesday, demanding that the Spanish government impose an arms embargo on Israel, local media reported.

The protest at the Circulo de Bellas Artes center, organized by the collective Greater Palestine: Education against Genocide, began with a teachers’ assembly and turned into a sit-in, according to El Diario.

“We’re not going to move from here,” said Carlos Diez, a 63-year-old secondary school teacher and member of the initiative, which brings together around 60 educators as well as figures from the cultural sector according to Anadolu.

The group called on Spain’s Cabinet to approve a long-announced decree halting arms sales to Israel.

The initiative seeks to mobilize the education community in support of Palestine amid Israel’s ongoing assault on Gaza.

The movement also plans to push teaching councils across Spain to adopt declarations in favor of an arms embargo and to demand the cutting of diplomatic and commercial relations with Israel.

The group announced further sit-ins in other cities and said it will hold a public reading of the names of the more than 18,500 children killed in Gaza.

Israel has killed more than 63,600 Palestinians in Gaza since October 2023. The military campaign has devastated the enclave, which is facing famine.

Last November, the International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants for Netanyahu and his former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza.

Israel also faces a genocide case at the International Court of Justice for its war on the enclave.

Continue reading
World Flotilla on Way to Gaza

A flotilla carrying activists and humanitarian aid to Gaza departed Barcelona’s port late Monday after bad weather forced its return a day earlier, organizers said.

“Now the weather forecast has improved, the first group of boats has now set sail, carrying not only their crews but the spirit of all who stood at the dock and everyone rising together across the world,” the Global Sumud Flotilla said in a post on the US social media company Instagram’s platform.

“More boats will join in the days ahead coming from all across the Mediterranean. The message from Barcelona was clear: the world has had enough, and Palestine is not alone,” it added.

Around 200 activists, politicians and artists from 44 countries initially set sail Sunday from Barcelona after a large rally in support of their mission.

Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg, Irish actor Liam Cunningham, Spanish actor Eduardo Fernandez and former Barcelona Mayor Ada Colau are among those taking part in the voyage.

“Every ship sailing towards Gaza is a cry for human dignity. This mission is not a threat – it is an act of humanity against barbarity,” said Fernandez on Sunday. “Silence is complicity. And silence kills as much as bombs do.”

Organizers say the flotilla will be joined by more ships departing from Italy and Tunisia, bringing the total to more than 500 people and around 60 vessels.

It hopes to reach Gaza by mid-September.

Thunberg said that everything possible must be tried to end the Gaza blockade.

“Every day, more people are waking up and realizing the scale of Israel’s massacres and genocide,” she said Sunday. “Today’s news is not that this flotilla is setting out, but rather how the world can remain silent and how politicians can betray and abandon the Palestinian people.”

Thunberg participated in another flotilla mission earlier this year. That ship was intercepted and seized by Israel, which eventually deported its 12-member crew.

Israel’s full blockade of the Gaza Strip, in place since early March, has created catastrophic conditions for the enclave’s 2.4 million residents, leading to famine, widespread disease and the collapse of essential services.

Israel has killed over 63,500 Palestinians in its genocidal war on the Gaza Strip since October 2023.

Last November, the International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza.

Israel also faces a genocide case at the International Court of Justice over its war on the enclave.

Continue reading
Gaza: 185 Die From Starvation in August

The Gaza Health Ministry stated Tuesday that 185 people, including 12 children, died of starvation in August, the highest monthly figure recorded since Israel’s war on the enclave began nearly two years ago.

The ministry said 70 of the deaths occurred after the UN-backed hunger monitoring system Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) formally declared Gaza a famine zone last month.

Health officials reported that more than 43,000 children aged under 5 are suffering from malnutrition, alongside 55,000 pregnant and breastfeeding women according to Anadolu.

They added that 67% of pregnant women are now anemic, the most alarming rate documented in years.

The ministry warned of catastrophic consequences if emergency food and medical supplies are not delivered immediately, citing the rapid escalation of hunger-related deaths.

Israel has killed more than 63,500 Palestinians in Gaza since October 2023. The military campaign has devastated the enclave, which is facing famine.​​​​​​​

Last November, the International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza.

Israel also faces a genocide case at the International Court of Justice for its war on the enclave.

Continue reading
257 World Media Oulets Call For Gaza Journalists Protection

More than 200 international media outlets on Sunday demanded the protection of Palestinian journalists and an end to Israeli impunity for crimes committed against them.

“We demand the protection of Palestinian journalists and an end to the impunity for crimes perpetrated by the Israeli army against them in the Gaza Strip,” said 257 media outlets in over 50 countries brought together by the campaigning platform Avaaz and Reporters Without Borders (RSF).

The media outlets involved in the campaign also called for independent access for foreign press to the Gaza Strip and the emergency evacuation of reporters seeking to leave, according to RSF.

“At the rate journalists are being killed in Gaza by the Israeli army, there will soon be no one left to keep you informed,” it wrote according to Anadolu.

The group also called for strong action from the international community and called on the UN Security Council to stop the Israeli army’s crimes against Palestinian journalists.

RSF further reported that in less than 23 months, 220 journalists have been killed by the Israeli army in the Gaza Strip.

Israel has killed nearly 63,500 Palestinians in Gaza since October 2023. The military campaign has devastated the enclave, which is facing famine.

Last November, the International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza.

Israel also faces a genocide case at the International Court of Justice for its war on the enclave.

Continue reading
Israel Uproots 10,000 Olive Trees

From the Jewish Voice for Peace as reprinted in the Middle East Magazine

To the Israeli government, even Palestinian trees pose a so-called security threat.

This past weekend, in just three days, the Israeli military uprooted 10,000 olive trees in al-Mughayyir village, in the occupied West Bank. Some of the trees were over 100 years-old.

The Israeli military’s Central Command Chief Avi Bluth said about the order: “Uprooting the trees was intended to deter everyone. Not just this village, but any village.”

This act of environmental destruction is collective punishment, aimed at destroying Palestinian livelihood and severing Palestinian connection to their land. We stand with Palestinians in al-Mughayyir, as they grieve the loss of 10,000 olive trees.

Ripping olive trees out of the ground is nothing new to the Israeli military. Since 1967, the Israeli government has uprooted over 800,000 olive trees, and bulldozed hundreds of miles of agricultural land in Palestine. Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians rely on the olive harvest for income.

The Israeli government targets olive trees because they uphold the deep ties Palestinians have to their land. Zionism, by aiming to build a Jewish-only state on stolen Palestinian land, erases Palestinian connection with the land by decimating the landscape, planting non-native trees, and preventing agricultural production. Because Zionist narratives rely on this erasure, olive trees indeed pose a “threat.”

This assault on olive groves in Al-Mughayyir comes in the midst of increased Israeli violence in the occupied West Bank, both carried out by the Israeli military and settlers. Working together, these groups displaced hundreds of Palestinians just this week, while the Israeli government announced plans to build 3,000 new settler homes in occupied East Jerusalem.

As anti-Zionist Jews, we oppose the Israeli government’s decades-long campaign of destroying Palestinian land and life. A free Palestine is a world where each life is precious — a place where every human and every plant can thrive without fear of being killed, uprooted, or destroyed.

Thank you to @sliman.mansour for your powerful artwork, Olive Grove (حقل زيتون), oil on canvas, 2012

Continue reading